This month I switched from a OnePlus X to a Moto G5S Plus. More and more apps have a backup and restore options via the cloud that really helps in transitioning.
You can use List My Apps to get an HTML copy of the apps on your old phone for reference after doing your backups.
If you have purchased apps on a second Gmail family account you can add a second Google account to your Android settings. In the play store, you will then see a drop-down option to select which account to install the app from.
Backup & Restore via cloud notes
- HabitBull synced via email address
- Keepass2Android seamless via database file stored in Google drive
- OurGroceries synced via email address
- Textra uses the stock Android messaging database. I used SMS Backup & Restore to backup messages to Google drive, restored from configurable google drive location and re-synced in-app from Textra Settings > About > Resync
- Telegram seamless via their cloud once you put in your number
- WhatsApp seamless via Google drive
- Cam Scanner seamless backup via email address
Backup & Restore manual notes
- Beep’nGo is invaluable for all your store cards, unfortunately, it was shut down in May 2017, so here is the apk file to install. Backup using Helium, this post is invaluable to get Helium installed on your computer & working on your phone. Helium creates a *.ab file in internal storage/carbon which you can copy to Google Drive. This can be restored using Helium via the command line “adb restore *.ab”, see this android stackexchange post.
- Boxer I just took screenshots of the incoming & outgoing server settings screens. Thankfully, a pro license is no longer needed for multiple accounts.
- Podcast Addict stored backup in google drive & restored from there
- SwipePad has a backup via SwipePad MoreSpace but you need to manually copy the file from Google Drive to the root of your internal storage (i.e. /storage/emulated/0/). I used Astro file manager. You need to remember the mail you used to save your words; the app uses sync to mean restore and you have to “register the email address” on the new phone to sync your words.
- Tasker has a backup option, I then copied this with Astro to Google drive. Prior to restoring you need to do a backup in Tasker first to create the tasker directory, just pick any app. Then copy the backup to /sdcard/Tasker/profiles/<your_backup>.xml
- Yr did not have any luck saving my locations, even with Helium